A Must Have for Your Child with Autism! The 5 Point Scale!
If you don’t know about Kari Dunn Buron’s Incredible 5 Pt Scale, then you’re missing out! It’s basically a visual strategy to divide a topic into 5 levels to better explain a range of differences within the concept.
Its beauty lies within its simplicity! The Incredible 5 Pt Scale allows those of us in special education to give our children a visual way to understand some things that would be much more difficult to teach without it.
This is basically a colorful scale from 1 to 5 that can be used in a wide variety of situations. You, the parent or the educator, can come up with the definitions that would best fit each level or you could sit down with your child/student and come up with definitions together for each of the levels.
In this video, I give four examples of concepts that are perfect to put on the 5 pt scale.
Take a look!
I am sure that you could think of several other situations that would work for your child. Just think of the possibilities! Here are a few more situations that you might want to consider
- How to tell if someone wants to date you
- Mistakes you make at work and how to handle them
- Identifying what kinds of changes in your schedule upset you and how to deal with them
- How to tell if someone wants to talk with you
- How to tell if you are saying the right thing at the right time
- How to know if you are being a good friend
- How to tell if you are being a good listener
The list can go on and on!
Let me know if you have a unique use of the 5pt scale! Give it a try and let me know how it goes!
Hope your summer is going well! Stay cool!